Tuesday, October 31, 2006

no-meat sandwich

I don’t think we’ve been making much interesting food lately, but I felt this one was worth mentioning: a hot meatball sandwich with cheese. I might have cut the bread too thick and not toasted it long enough, but it was still very good and very filling. The meatballs and the cheese are both vegan soy products. We had some lettuce and things that I should probably have fixed a salad with, but I don’t think I could have eaten one anyway after this sandwich.


Thursday, October 26, 2006

more stuff

I bought a pair of mittens and a cardigan at the thrift store yesterday. The mittens are army issue, and the inner liner has a trigger finger option in addition to the usual mitten compartment. The cardigan has buttons and pockets. I don’t really feel like I need pockets, but it was the only decent cardigan I could find, and I wanted to get something to wear around the house as the weather gets colder.

I wore the outer shell of the mittens to work today. The inner liners seemed like they might get too warm, so I replaced them with a pair of thinner gloves that I have. It worked well. I’m also in the habit of wearing my full rain gear to and from work. There isn’t a lot of rain, but it helps a great deal with the wind. Since I started that, the ride has been pretty comfortable for the most part. The only remaining problems are hat related. It’s difficult to position a hat so that the wind stays off my ears. I have a pair of earmuffs also, but I’m concerned that my head will get cold if that’s all I wear. Wearing both is not very comfortable, based on my tests.

Also, we picked up some carpet. Most of it went in the bedroom across the hall from mine, but I got a couple small area-rug size pieces for my room. It’s quite nice compared to the hard wood floor. I should have tried to get some sooner.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Bicycle Progress

I went to a bike shop and bought a wrench, tire levers, a new tube and a patch kit (for the future). It turned out that the tube had a new hole in it and my patch had not failed. I just replaced the tube anyway and it’s working fine for the moment. I’m a little concerned that the rim, which is out of true and maybe out of round also, is causing the tube to puncture, but I don’t know enough about bicycles to know how likely that is. I’ll probably replace it anyway with one of the rims I have in the basement. They will probably be in better condition.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Three events

I did three major things this week. First, I managed to patch the tire on my bike. Unfortunately, that didn’t last. Just last night it went flat again. The bike co-op had no tubes that fit my tires, so I would have to try to patch it again. More likely, I’ll take it to a bike shop and pay to get a new tube on it, or buy a tube and the tools to do it at home.

Second, I built a dresser out of cardboard boxes I’ve received. I’ve been trying to find a dresser for a while now, but haven’t come across anything good, so I decided to put one together.


It looks a little tidier in life than in this picture. The middle flap doesn’t hang down like that. The drawer-box on the right is pulled out a little, also. When not in use, it tucks nicely away.

Third, I attended a local board game night with friends of a friend. It was a good time all around, and the house was close enough to bike to. In the future, I might try to work on the same days as the board game night, because the store is on the way there and it would save me a trip and a half or so.

Monday, October 9, 2006

Fun and Not Fun

There is a park nearby with basketball hoops and a big open field. We go there sometimes to throw the frisbee around, and today we went to play a game of Horse. It’s been unseasonably warm, which is nice. Inside our house, the temperature is always several degrees lower than it is outside, so getting out in the sun feels extra pleasant.

A few days ago I spent some time in the sun for a different reason. My bike got a flat tire and I ended up walking to work. I found out I wasn’t scheduled to work until the afternoon, so I walked home and then walked back again later. I took the bus home that night. I’m still taking the bus to work, but I’ll try to fix my bike again by the end of next week.

It’s interesting how much a working bike is worth to me. I’ve invested less than ten or twelve dollars into the bike I have. It will probably cost another three dollars in to fix the tire. If I ride the bus to work and back for the rest of the year, it would cost me more than a few hundred dollars.